The first people who settled in the area that is now Riverton arrived in 1865. They lived in crude, widely scattered, dugout homes along the river bottoms. Though early accounts disagree, Archibald Gardner, who owned the largest amount of land, may have been the first to live in the Riverton area. The land along the Jordan River and surrounding area was called Gardnerville. Due to the lack of irrigation water, initial growth was slow. However, the town began to grow as settlers developed a cooperative to build a ditch which later resulted in a canal that opened cultivation attracting new residents. Riverton became a town on October 8, 1947, and a city of the third class July 3, 1967. By 1914, Riverton began to prosper as an agricultural community. Riverton's business district also thrived. In 1879, a judicial precinct was established and the settlement's name was officially changed from Gardnerville to Riverton by Judge Charles Smith. The first meetinghouse was constructed in 1879 which served as a church, a schoolhouse, and a community meeting place. A new meetinghouse was planned and the architect selected was Richard Kletting who also designed the Utah State Capitol. The entire community hauled material by wagons, including granite from Little Cottonwood Canyon. The Old Dome Church, which it came to be known, was used by the residents until it was torn down in 1940. The Dome Church was part of the inspiration in the design of the newly constructed pavilion at the Riverton City Park. Just before the turn-of-the-century, Riverton farmers gradually changed from self-sufficient to commercial farming. They specialized in alfalfa, wheat, sugar beets, tomatoes, poultry, sheep, and dairy cows. At this time, the LDS Church began to store tithed produce and livestock on land located at 1150 West 12400 South. This area is known as Tithing Hill. In 1912, electricity first came to Riverton and in 1913 the Salt Lake and Utah Railroad (Orem Line) was started and went through Riverton west of Redwood Road. It stretched from Salt Lake to Payson and was used as a commuter and freight line. Riverton had its own train depot and trains used this line from 1914 to 1945 after which the rails and ties, along with the depot, were torn down.
Listing information provided courtesy of the Wasatch Front Regional MLS. IDX information is provided exclusively for consumers' personal, non-commercial use, and it may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties consumers may be interested in purchasing. The data is deemed reliable, but is not guaranteed accurate by the MLS.
Updated: 24th May, 2019 7:04 PM.